Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Maharashtra - Sago saga

If in Maharashtra, do it the Maharashtrian way...enjoy their yummy fastfood.


Nah! Don't get me wrong. I'm not referring to the ready-to-eat food served at the local Chinese wala in Maharashtra. Here the term fastfood refers to 'food that you are allowed to eat when you are fasting'. 

By the way, did you know that the word Chinese can be written in different ways, well, yes, that too in English by just exchanging the places of letters in the word? No? Well, we'll look into it later. 

Let's come back to Maharashtrian fastfood. Interesting isn't it? That's what India is all about...in fact we can boast of a culturally varied fastfood fare ;)
Ever heard of that one before?

The Marathi list would comprise sabudana khichdi, sabudana vada, potato chivda, varicha bhaat and many more. 

Let's go slow, one at a time. We shall fist scrutinize the unavoidable Sabudana khichdi - a yummy snack made of sago (sabudana). It's easy to make. But only after some practice. To be honest, sago can be a rogue if you don't handle it properly. The first time I tried making this khichdi it ended up as poppadums. 

The second time I made it, my husband sensed that there was something wrong in the preparation. The sago hadn't turned completely transparent. Now that wasn't my fault, if the sago didn't feel motivated enough to get cooked. But my hubby wouldn't understand this. So I told him that this sago is different. And I don't think he believed me.

Months later I had the same stuff at Ramya's place. From her mom I learnt that I was messing it up with the 'soaking time'. Finally, things were set right and I could see light at the end of the tunnel. I could see my family relishing the khichdi that I had made for them. I tried and now I am an expert. 

See...




















You can also make sabudana vadas out of this. 
One place where I have devoured this delicacy is at Prakash, Shivaji Park, Dadar (W). This place is quite popular for it's authentic Maharashtrian fare.


So, go! Indulge in some Sago :)

No comments:

Post a Comment